Tuesday, August 2, 2022

10 Years Gone

 Almost 10 years have gone by since I last posted. 10 YEARS!!! How does time fly by so fast? 

So many things that happened. Good and bad. Nothing different from anybody else's life, but still....10 years!!!??? I still can't believe it. I put most of my collecting on hold. Life happens and most of that was more important than my collecting hobby. I have like 5 hobbies going at once, so this one took a back seat for a while.

I would go to the hobby store and grab some singles from the sets I'm collecting, but I pretty much decided I wasn't interested in buying and building new sets anymore. I did grab a few Garbage Pail Kids and a random pack or two of "new stuff", but mostly just a bunch of randomness.


 

Saw these Chrome GPK's online, but they didn't really grab me, but seeing them in person changes my mind a little bit. I do like shiny chrome. Who doesn't? I still haven't seen any A&G in chrome and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it as it just doesn't make sense to me. The appeal of A&G is that it is a retro set and as such, probably looks better without all the 21st century snazziness. If I ever see a chrome pack of A&G these days I'd probably buy a pack as I can't seem to find much at the Walmarts and Targets like in the past.

GPK is one of my all time favorites, but they be a little hit or miss on the concept of their new sets. This was from the 35th anniversary set and it was really right up my alley as it more of a homage(I won't say re-hash) of the older sets that I remember from my childhood.


This was from 2017 I think. It was a music based set. It makes me feel old sometimes. Before this post I heard a song by Sting's band and for the life of me I couldn't think of the name of his old band. Took me hours to remember "The Police". I'm getting old.


I don't even remember buying this. I consider myself a Star Wars fan. Actually it was the first ever movie that I watched. I don't see anything of note in this pack.



I got a few cheap boxes from Facebook marketplace. Some Stadium Club, 90's era Football Pro Set, and this really cool box of Series One Mad Magazine. 

 

 


 

Really weird checklist numbering system. I guess keeping up with the concept of "Mad". I was able to build a couple of sets of this stuff and have a few packs left over.  Someday I really need to do a random box break/pack break thing with my random unopened packs. Not that I have a lot of unopened packs. Really hard to resist ripping packs when I have them.

 


 

Having not been a collector in the early nineties, I didn't really realize how big these pro sets were. I thought for sure I could get close to finishing up a set with 36 packs, but I didn't. I still got the painted Super Bowl MVP subset finished though. Or at least, I think I did. I need to check again. I have a LOT of dupes from these sets. 


I don't know what to think of the design of this set. I sort of like it, but it doesn't really elicit any excitement for me. Fun to rip open though.  I need to search out more older boxes like this.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully I'll be more proactive in the future with some more posts.

 


6 comments:

night owl said...

Wow, now HERE'S a blast from the past! Is Dinged Corners going to show up next?

Glad you came back to this thing.

Jeremy said...

Yep, I'm back at it for now. Thanks. Hopefully I can keep it up! It's a fun thing to do.

Jon said...

You're definitely from before my time as a blogger, but it's still neat to see someone return after such a long absence.

Jeremy said...

Oh, thanks Jon. I'm still going through all my old cards to get them arranged better. I'll have to check out your blogs.

gcrl said...

Good to see a post! I had no idea there were mad magazine cards. I need to look into that for sure.

Jeremy said...

I didn't know about the Mad magazine cards either. They're pretty cool. I should have extras if you're interested...