Thursday, January 28, 2010

Best painted cards i've seen!

I came across these cool NFL cards when I went to the flea market this last Saturday. I try to make it a point to check out the flea market whenever I can.



Anyway, I picked up four "packs" of different sets of cards. They were cheap enough so I was just happy to at least get the card that was pictured on the front.
In this pack of cards the dude included cards 1-24.

They're detailing the first 24 years of Super Bowls. I'm guessing this is a subset from a bigger NFL set of cards, but I'm not sure.

If so, I'm wondering if they are all painted like this or they just had this subset as a painted set?



If it is a whole NFL painted set I'm going to try and collect that. Or at least see if the guy comes back next week and buy up as much as I can find.


I really like these painted cards, much better than anything I've seen recently.


It's going to be hard for me not to show off every card front to back in this post.

This card reminds me of in the old days when a quarterback would drop back to pass they really dropped back about 10-15 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Even in college now the QBs usually do a one step, three step drop and get rid of the ball. Sometimes they scramble or get flushed out of the pocket, but nothing like before when it was a design of the play for a quarterback to run backwards before letting go of the ball. I'm no great historian of NFL or football in general, but I'm guessing that Bill Walsh and 49's were one of the first teams to have significant changes in their passing game as well as different theories in pass blocking. If anybody has conflicting ideas on this let me know.



I think he's the first Native American QB or player in the NFL. He played college ball at Stanford. Hopefully my guy Bradford will do well in the NFL next year. What am I saying? Jim Thorpe played pro ball and is Native American Indian. I think maybe he's the first American Indian Heisman winner.





Is it just me, or does it seem like teams made more consecutive trips to super bowls back then? Maybe it's parity or salary cap stuff, I don't know. It just seems like random teams have a better chance to be a part of the big game.



In my opinion this is the worst looking card of the bunch. Mostly because of the way Randy White is placed on the bottom of the card. Not so much his position but they way the background looks. I wish they could've blended the backgrounds together better instead of that blocky looking background. This is the only dual MVP card in the bunch.


I love the detail in his hands and facial features.


Their are actual game photos on the back of the cards.


Immaculate Reception?




Pretty cool detail in the helmet. I didn't realize the Dolphins logo had those little lines outside the ring. I think they should have the dolphin tail obscured by the ring so it looks like he's jumping out at us.






All these Cowboys cards are making me hungry! Especially the Chuck Howley card. Pizza Hut used to have these posters of Dallas Cowboy players that they were giving away as part of a set. They were painted in the same style as these cards on a canvas like paper stock.

I found some in the attic this summer and my dad gave them away. I'm not much of a Cowboys fan, so it didn't matter much to me. Hopefully on my next trip to my parents I can see if I have any more laying around.




I guess by now you can tell that I'm going to upload every card in the subset.



Sort of works, doesn't it?




I didn't realize they would be this nice. I only picked them up because of this Bart Starr card on the front.

Another benefit of the painted cards is that when chipping does occur it just looks like the background is unfinished. I still can't tell if this card is chipped on the left edge or if that is just from the painting.

Doesn't matter anyway, I love these cards. They're going right into the binder. All this for only 25 cents is a pretty good deal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I've never seen these cards before. Cool find!

Jeremy said...

yeah, they're pretty awesome. I wish more modern sets were painted this way.