Friday, August 21, 2009

Johan painting

I felt like trying my hand at another painting. This time I would try to do Johan Santana, the pitcher from the Mets.


This is my first sketch with pencil.


Here is a more detailed sketch with paint.


It's pretty monochromatic right now. Mostly just different shades of blues and reds to make up different values of red, blue and violet.


In this one you'll probably notice that I am having trouble again with the pitching hand. I'm trying to show more of the ball so that it's also in the frame. The arm looks a little disembodied right now. I was watching sportscenter at the time that I was looking over the final draft and I realized something awful. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed by this point.

Here is a clue to what has happened.


I was using this card as well as a few others when I was painting. It took a highlight of Johan pitching to remind me that he's a left handed pitcher, not right handed. Ha Ha. Crap! This sucks. I guess I can always un-Johan it and make it into another pitcher. This is a big setback for this painting, but not for me personally. Yikes! I'm so slow sometimes.

Anybody have any suggestions as to who I could change it to? I was thinking since it's already got the Mets logo I can just turn it into somebody else.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Thanks Genica! I like the time lapse videos on your blog of you doing paintings.