Sunday, August 8, 2010

Get ready, it's another vintage Saturday!!!

It's time for another vintage Saturday. This actually is more like a vintage Wednesday, but I didn't have a chance to post then so I'll do it now.

I found a new hobby shop in OKC that has a lot of cool stuff. Mainly they have 15 card pages designed for the basic size minis that come in A&G etc. I was really happy to find a shop that has those pages since I've been too lazy to go online and order some.


They even threw in a mini that they were using as a display for the pages. Free stuff is good, even if it's something I'm not collecting.

If anybody is interested Amazon has 20 and 15 card pages available. I have no info on the 20 pages so you'll have to try those for yourself.



Here's my Joy of a Completed Page mini style. It's a pretty bad scan, but you get the idea. You don't know how happy I am to get these pages. So far I've bought around 76 of these pages and I'm still needing more. I bought the shop out the other day, so hopefully they'll get more in soon.

Enough of that. Let's get on with the "vintage". I've got real vintage and psuedo vintage to show off today. I picked up a couple of these Bowman packs. They're from 1989 . So not really vintage, but older stuff. I haven't seen packs of Bowman baseball so this'll be cool.

I grabbed these two packs off the top and I'm glad I did.




When I got home I noticed that one of the packs has what appears to be a Brooklyn Dodger. . .



... and the other a New York Giant/Met. I couldn't tell at first because of the packaging. I'll get to those later, but first a couple of cards of guys that I knew from when I was younger:



A Mattingly..


A Mike Schmidt.


...and a 75 year old Robin Yount.



This is a local sports talk radio guy, Jim Trabor. Pretty entertaining guy sometimes.

The two cards that I saw on the front were of:


a 1949 Gil Hodges and...


.... a 1951 Willie Mays. It looks like he's playing in front of a tarp with a barracks in the background. The older players really had to pay their dues in the old days it seems. Playing center field on the front lines must have been tough.

I now know where I saw these before. Baseball dad had sent me a Duke Snider card like this once in a trade.

They're pretty nice, but these cards are slightly oversized. There's even a mail in offer for Bowman pages on the back of these packs. I'm wondering if I should try to cut them down to size. That's probably too much trouble. Actually I'm wondering if I should even be looking at these cards. I pulled a lot of cool players, but it's frustrating not being able to store them properly. I like to put the cool cards in binders so that I can look at them better. The cards that don't fit into binders go into a "good box" that all contain cards in a toploader. These cards are too big for either. Crap!! I solved one problem with the mini card pages and now this.

Too much angst for me, let's get on with the true vintage.



A 1971 Dock Ellis card. This is the first '71 that I have in hand. The other is a card that I redeemed on the Topps website, but I haven't had sent to me yet. I think this card will go in oddball folder in between Sparky Lyle and Bake McBride. He he. Wink wink. It's actually in really great shape. I checked it a few times to make sure it isn't some sort of reprint and I think it's legit.

Anyway, that's about it for today. I have some more cool stuff coming up soon to celebrate my sort of one year anniversary so be on the look out for that.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

gritz76 said...

I keep my Dock Ellis collection right between my Bill Lee and Fergie Jenkins collections. ha!

BASEBALL DAD said...

I like the "mini" pages.I hadn't done any research on them but I need some to get some too.Those early Bowman cards are a pain sometimes.Those and the Topps " Big " sets. There are 11 different cards in the sweepstakes insert set."Book" value about $3.50.There is also a glossy version that came in factory sets.

Jeremy said...

I like the way you think Gritz76! I might have to do that too.

Baseball dad, I wonder if they still have some Bowman sized pages somewhere. I'd like to buy up a bunch of these packs as they are cheap and fun to rip, but I don't like the storage issues.