Monday, February 27, 2012

Trip to the card store

In my search for some vintage cards I made my way over to the LCS to see what he had in stock. He seems to have a lot more 1973 cards these days and that's exactly up my alley! I picked up quite a few cards for that set as well as a couple of more cool vintage cards.


Vintage has been giving me a much better feeling with my collection than just ripping open random packs. I'm not much into current sets, so I'm going to focus more on the older stuff.

I first started liking the 73 set because of the action shots I saw on the blogs. Like most sets there is a plethora of posed shots, but first I want to start off with a rare candid shot.



What a happy looking card. Smiling player spending time in the sun. With a name like May to boot! Looks like he's having a genuine good time in this photo. According to the back his nickname is "Daisy". No wonder then. Seems like a happy fellow.

It's kind of cool when you grab a bunch of cards that seem to have some connection.

This was a dup I picked because I was too stupid to pick up the smart phone and check my want list as I was picking out cards. Oh well, it was an upgrade to the card I already had.

A more prominent shot of Chaney is this one of Game 3 of the World Series between the Reds and A's.


Kind of an obvious with Chaney featured so prominently in the foreground. He's still not the actual subject of the action though. It's the dude sliding to home.



Another example would be this one of "Odom Out at Plate". To me, the main subject of the card is Oklahoma's own Johnny Bench. I guess that's the whole point of the "out at plate" thing. My first Bench card during his playing years. Pretty cool.



I picked up this nice Jim Fregosi card for two reasons: it's a nice action shot and it's a 71. I'm slowly picking up 71's and 72's when I see them. Those might be the next two sets I work on later. I have a tendency to jump around from set to set.

I recalled the name Fregosi, but it wasn't until I pulled this out of the box that I remembered he was a Met.

Uggh. A big contrast to the epic horizontal swing action shot in the 71 card. A couple of guys looking up for the ball. Somewhat interesting looking fans in the background, but bored looking teammates in the dugout all conspire to make this a pretty lame "action" shot.



This Lindy McDaniel card was an anomaly in the 25 cent box. Normally any former OU players or players who were born or reside in Oklahoma go in the more expensive OKLAHOMA PLAYERS box. I haven't been over to that box in a while. I guess Lindy was TRADED to the cheap 25 cent box. I can't think of a more humiliating card to have your face on. This was one of a few 1974 cards that I'm interested in because I knew he was in the Traded set. They editors really did a number on the hat. I think they may have even deleted some of the clouds in the background.

It's good that I'm not a real writer, if I were headlines like this would be the norm.

I guess that explains Lou as a Royal. I never really think of Lou as anything but a Yankee.
Alright, that's all I got for this installment of cheap guy goes to the card store. I have some vintage planned for later on this week.

2 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Great '73s!

moremonkeys138 said...

I'm putting together the '73 set as well and am down to 20 cards. I have to say it's probably one of the most fun sets I've put together so far. The photos are top notch for the era and some that still hold up great today.