Saturday, May 5, 2012

Another vintage Saturday post

Stopping by the LCS the other day for some stuff I came across some nice vintage cards. Let's take a look shall we.

My eye always seems to find the Mets first so let's do them first.




Team cards are cool. It would be a nice part of my collection to collect every Mets team card of their existence. I only have a couple of vintage team cards in my possession right now. Before this card trip all I had was a 1970 team card from Justin at the Hopeful Chase. (his blog used to be called Tampa Bay Wasteland)



I received a bunch of 75's from Duane a Democratic Roadkill a year or so ago. They're nice, but I'm going to try for some of the other vintage sets before I think about 1975. I hadn't come across this card before, so I thought I'd snatch it up while I had the chance.

Having these teams cards has me wondering if I should just devote a page or two to a chronological team card page or should I put it with the player's cards. Anybody out there ever have this same type of dilemma? Not much of a dilemma in the grand scheme of things, just a way for me to get a little more neurotic and nerdy with my hobby.

I'll let you know how that all works out for me. I'm sure you all are on the edge of your seats waiting for this info.


This manager card of Gil Hodges is pretty boring, but a nice start on the Mets team set from 1972.



I haven't seen these Sporting News cards before. I was pretty sure it was from 1969 because of the bright yellow circle with the position, team and player name.

The back is a puzzle piece.
I'm not sure what it is, but I think if you tweeted this today you might have to resign from Congress.


1968's are a set that I haven't spent much time on. Mainly because I haven't seen too many of them. I came across this Ed Kranepool card and was struck by how vibrant the colors are on this card. The blue Mets hat is pretty bright and really stands out from the yellowish brown border.
Just a typical posed batting cage pic from a time before action shots were common, but it's one of my nicer vintage cards.

Since I haven't seen many 68's in person, this card was a nice surprise.


This has been a pretty Mets-centric post. I do have some vintage with other teams represented, but I'll leave that for another post.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: