Sunday, September 19, 2010

Trade with Drinking the Orange Kool-aid

Everybody in blogoland seems to be in the doldrums these days and it sucks. I'm guessing some of it has to do with the limited amount of products and possibly the fact that some people's teams might not be doing so well at this time of year. Maybe the reality of their team sucking doesn't inspire people to want to collect cards. I can definitely relate to that aspect of it, but I haven't been bitten by the boredom bug. I must be opposite man.

Seems like lately I've been doing some major damage to the myriad of sets that I'm trying to finish. I'm really close to finishing some of the sets that I've been obsessing on lately. Propaganda, Turkey Red and A&G are close to being finished so maybe that has opened the door to finding some player collections.

One thing that I haven't really focused on until lately is trying to find cards of former OU guys. It's always nice if someone realizes a player is from OU and sends a card my way, but it's really too hard for people I trade with to go looking at the backs of cards to see what college the player is from. I haven't gotten around to coming up with a good want list for that part of my collection.

Occasionally I'll pass by someone's blog and they have a former OU guy up for trade.

Dave from Drinking the Orange Kool-aid posted up a trade bait the other day and he had a couple of cool cards of a former OU player.



Dominique Franks played corner for OU the past couple of years. This is one of the guys that tends to be forgotten pretty quickly when you have Gerald McCoy, Sam Bradford and Jermaine Gresham all being drafted ahead of him.

I haven't forgotten about him though. He was a fun guy to watch.

In addition to the card above, Dave had another auto card of Mr. Franks.


This time a Prestige rookie draft picks card of Dom in his OU uniform.


I guess I have more of a fondness for guys like this because they played hard at OU and also are local guys that are trying to fulfill their dream in the pros.

Here is a link to a Washington Post article about the tragedies in Dom's life. Pretty tough things for a young guy to endure.

Currently he's on the 53 man roster as a 3rd string Cornerback. Hopefully he'll do good things in the NFL.

Thanks for the cards, Dave.

Everybody should check out his blog if they haven't already.

No comments: