Sunday, July 1, 2012

Trade with Play at the Plate



I have odd feelings for Fleer these days. When I got back into collecting a few years ago, I seemed to mainly gravitate towards Topps. They were the leader to me and had the best designs; 2009 flagship and Allen and Ginter. Upper Deck, Pannini didn't do much for me. I liked some of the designs and the photography, but I always seemed to stay with Topps for the most part and focused mostly on finishing those Topps sets.

When I was a kid things weren't that way. To me Donruss, Topps and Fleer were basically all good. I didn't discriminate too much in those days. 1980 and 1982 Topps, 81-85 Donruss and 82 and 83 Fleer seemed to be the majority of card purchases in those days until Garbage Pail Kids came along. I shifted over to GPK for the remaining collecting years until June of 2009 when I got back into collecting.


Fleer was already on it's way out in 2009. I would come across some Fleer Ultra or Tradition in repacks. I was really fond of repacks back then; they were a cheap and easy way to sample a bunch of stuff that I hadn't seen before.

Another way of sampling things that I haven't seen before and that is the 2002 Fleer Tradition that I've shown above.

These cards came to my home courtesy of Brian at the Play at the Plate blog. He and I have traded quite a few times. I haven't don't much trading or buying this year. Add to that list trade posts. This package arrived probably at least a year ago and I still haven't gotten around to writing about it. I don't know what exactly the problem is with me. I just a horrible person I guess.

Anyway, I would have probably never come across cards like these had it not been for my trade partners.



I'm not sure who some of these players are. Obviously Piazza is a household name and and actually I'm pretty sure that I've heard of Tsuyoshi Shinjo, but I don't know in what context exactly.

The fronts look a little like 2008 Goudey which of course is taken from 1934 set. I gu



I really do like the backs of these cards more than the front. The player silhouette is taken from the photo on the front.

A nice little touch is the glove icon that contains the card number.



I had a really cool idea for a Jose Reyes themed post, but I never got around to doing it. Maybe one of these days. For now I'll just show this cool chrome card Brian sent over.


Adding to the list of cards that I didn't know existed is this 2000 Gallery Mike Piazza. Nice die cut design, but my favorite part of the card is the that it's translucent.



Lastly here is a Bowman Chrome card of Enrique Cruz. Brian sent over a few of these, this is the one I chose to upload. I don't know why exactly except this guy looks too young to be playing pro ball. Maybe I'm just getting old. Of course this is 12 year old card so Enrique might be looking a bit older like the rest of us.

Thanks for the cards, and sorry it took me this long to get around to showing off my part of the trade.

2 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

You're not a terrible person, sometimes it's hard to focus on a hobby involving carboard (or a facsimile thereof) pictures of baseball players. I'm glad you're still posting some and we need to do another trade! I'm going to check out your trade bait posts from today.

Jeremy said...

I'll set aside the sparklies for you. I also have a 75 bill fahey card if it's still on your want list. I look for some Rangers on your lists.